Regular meetings alternate between Victoria and Nanaimo and are held on the second Saturday of the month (unless otherwise noted) in January, March, April, May, June, September, October and November. (February is our annual awards luncheon, July is when we have our summer picnic, and in August, a beach party.) Please bring a brown-bag lunch; coffee and tea will be available. Directions can be found here. Meetings include:
- Business meeting from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Lunch from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm (brown bag)
- Workshop from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Visitors are welcome to come to two regular meetings before joining.
September 9, 2017
All day workshop in Victoria with #1 New York Times bestselling author Susan Wiggs.
Thank you for your interest in the Susan Wiggs workshop. The workshop is now full. The workshop had limited seating and the response from VIRA members was enthusiastic. If writing is your passion, VIRA members would be pleased to meet you at an upcoming meeting. See below for information about the October and November meetings.
October 14, 2017
Discover powerful techniques storytellers use to craft their opening sentences and empower your own beginnings. A brilliant beginning should…
- Make a promise about what kind of story this is (anticipation)
- Stir unanswered questions in the reader’s mind (curiousity)
- Contain power words that appeal to the reader’s emotions and curiousity, and
- Invite the reader to cross the threshold into the story world
For storytellers who want readers to love their stories, but who struggle with creating a beginning to hook the reader.
November 4, 2017
© 2015 – 2017 Vancouver Island Romance Authors.