Our Mission Statement
Vancouver Island Romance Authors (VIRA) strives to be an inclusive and diverse group of writers, from those working on their first manuscript to those who are multi-published. VIRA members strive to hone their craft, share their knowledge, and support each other while writing memorable fiction.
Some of our group’s highlights include:
- Our monthly meetings, where we:
- attend to business to ensure our group stays vibrant and healthy
- celebrate successes, both small and great
- inspire each other to write our books
- host a Q&A session where questions can be asked about writing or publishing or simply chat about writing/publishing or get some extra support
- hold a workshop on subjects ranging from the writing craft to the business of writing and everything in between (please see the Past Events page for a sampling of previous workshops)
- network with other writers
- Our newsletter, Tide Lines, published ten times a year. The newsletter contains meeting details, members’ new releases, VIRA news, and writing-related articles. Members are always welcome to submit articles for publication.
- Our e-mail loop where our members can interact on a daily basis, whether it’s to share industry news, tips of the trade and craft, as well as sharing our successes or commiserating with each other about our disappointments.
- Our comprehensive website where members’ bios are listed, authors can list their new releases, provide workshop details on the Speakers Bureau page, and the Book Catalog where authors can list any or all of their books.
- The annual all-day workshop, where we often invite outside speakers, editors, or agents.
- The Valentine’s Luncheon, where we enjoy a lovely lunch in the company of our colleagues for a day of celebration and inspiration.
- A summer picnic at a member’s home, where business is eschewed in favour of some much-deserved fun and frolic.
A public Facebook group, where VIRA members can share their book and writing news. (Anyone can see or comment on posts, but only current VIRA members can join.)
- A fabulous support network!